Farhio House is seeking applicants for a full time Children and Youth
Advocate in the Shelter Program. Please send resumes to Nadifa Osman:
JOB TITLE: Children and Youth Shelter Advocate
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Lead Shelter Advocate
• Bachelor’s Degree in human services field or two years experience in a human services
• Demonstrated skills in writing, speaking, interpersonal communication, and teamwork
• Ability to provide empathy
• Competency in crisis management
• Understanding of and sensitivity to the unique circumstances of underserved and immigrant
populations and to survivors to domestic violence and sexual assault
• Experience working with children and youth who have witnessed domestic violence
• Fluency in language(s) other than English preferred especially Somali and/or Swahili
• Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault
• Supervisory experience preferred
• Public speaking experience preferred
• Experience providing trainings preferred
Children's Advocate Responsibilities:
• Adhere to all rules, policies and procedures as set forth by Farhio House.
• Maintain a professional, courteous and helpful demeanor at all times when working at or
representing Farhio House its programs.
• Allow flexibility in scheduling and job function.
• Respond to any job function as requested by supervisor.
• Abide by confidentiality at all times.
• Maintain a good driving record and carry liability insurance for passengers in personal
• Read and adhere to the Farhio House Shelter Policy and Procedures Manual; be mindful of
health and safety issues at all times
• Provide services in accordance with the organization’s HR policies, mission and
• Provide supervision to all children in shelter when needed.
• Attend staff meetings.
• Participate in regular supervision with the appropriate supervisor.
• Sign up for some holiday shifts during popular holiday times (most notably – but not
necessarily limited to – the time around Eid, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s).
Some limited holiday shifts will be required of all staff in order to keep our essential crisis
intervention functions operational at all times throughout the year.
• Create children’s programming and work with youth in shelter daily on children's activities for
• Supervise children advocate volunteers.
•Conduct shelter orientations for children entering shelter to help them with the transition
• Help to keep shared spaces orderly and take part in office-related light cleaning chores
• Identify service needs of children and families with children to include physical and
mental health needs, clothing, educational and other resources
• Maintain records of service participant contacts.
• Maintain records of all contacts related to service delivery (authorized phone calls to
third parties, court contacts, etc.).
• Provide advocacy and support for children at Farhio House.
• Other duties as assigned