Farhio House is seeking applicants for an on call/ as needed Shelter Advocate in the Shelter Program. Please send resumes to Nadifa Osman at: firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB TITLE: Shelter Advocate
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Lead Advocate
Required experience :
• Associates Degree in human services field or two years experience in a human services
• Demonstrated skills in writing, speaking, interpersonal communication, and teamwork
• Ability to provide empathy
• Competency in crisis management
• Understanding of and sensitivity to the unique circumstances of underserved populations especially immigrant women and their children and to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault
• Commitment to ending violence against women and children
• Fluency in language(s) other than English preferred especially Somali and Swahili
• Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault preferred
All Advocacy Responsibilities:
• Adhere to all rules, policies and procedures as set forth by Farhio House.
• Maintain a professional, courteous and helpful demeanor at all times when working at or
representing Farhio House or its programs.
• Serve as liaison between Farhio House and the community, being mindful of public
image, community relations and the promotion of domestic violence and sexual assault
• Allow flexibility in scheduling and job function.
• Respond to any job function as requested by supervisor.
• Abide by confidentiality at all times.
• Maintain a good driving record and carry liability insurance for passengers in personal
• Read and adhere to the Farhio House Shelter Policy and Procedures Manual; be mindful of health and safety issues at all times
• Provide services in accordance with the organization’s HR policies, mission and
• Greet and assist people when they come to the door.
• Participate in conferences, classes and workshops to enhance professional knowledge
• Attend staff meetings.
• Participate in regular supervision with the Lead Advocate.
• Sign up for some holiday shifts during popular holiday times (most notably – but not
necessarily limited to – the time around Eid,Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s).
Some limited holiday shifts will be required of all staff in order to keep our essential crisis
intervention functions operational at all times throughout the year.
• Assist with special events when appropriate.
• Help to keep shared spaces orderly and take part in shelter related cleaning and follow shelter checklist.
• Maintain a positive cooperative work approach and foster teamwork among co-workers.
• Work collaboratively with each survivor to determine both her strengths, supports,
challenges and goals in order to promote her autonomy.
Shelter Advocate Responsibilities:
• Walk through the entire shelter at least every hour to monitor residents.
• Record walkthroughs in the shelter check log if applicable.
• Monitor that all doors and windows are locked for safety
• Review shelter sign in sheet board to assess resident safety
• Monitor the parking lot and grounds cameras.
• Answer the Crisis Line and log all calls. Ascertain if caller is a survivor of domestic violence or sexual assault. Provide crisis counseling, information, referrals and safety planning to survivors and family members. Refer other callers to appropriate assistance.
• Screen potential shelter residents.
• Open the shelter door for volunteers, residents and other authorized individuals.
• Provide case management of residents when necessary
• Welcome new residents who arrive during the overnight hours, show them to their room
and give them basic information about the shelter and how to get things that they need
• Utilize skills to facilitate communication among residents and to promote constructive
mechanisms for coping with communal shelter life.
• Ensure that any television programs or movies being viewed in a communal area are
suitable (no violence or inappropriate content)
• Read the communication log at the beginning of each shift and note any relevant details at the end of each shift.
• Monitor proper functioning of the shelter facility. Report any malfunctioning equipment
or structural damage to the Shelter Manager
• Assist with facility upkeep as directed by the Shelter Coordinator
• Update case files regularly and thoroughly, following organizational procedures about file Management.